Monday, March 24, 2014

Father/Son Collaboration Leads to "Ground-Breaking" New Tool: Go2Socket

By Tara. *Item received for review. No financial reimbursement.*

dfp-g2s-06
Having been a sheet-metal mechanic for about six years, I know all too well the frustration that comes with screws and bolts that are oddly sized or "rounded off" or wore out. Take a bolt, for example. It could be a traditional bolt with 6 sides or it could be one shaped like a flower head. I've worked with all kinds and they all have one thing in common: they're SOBs to get out when rusted or rounded. Rounded out means, it's lost its shape and no socket will stay on it. The socket will just turn AROUND the bolt, and needless to say, that's not going to get the darned thing out, is it?


But thanks to a father/son team (The dad invented it; the son presented the idea, and voila, they have a business which I'm sharing with you today), we now have Go2Socket and this problem I just shared with you is SOLVED.

I'm going to share a video with you so you can what I mean for yourself.


Why you or your man wants this item:

-It can be 25 different sizes.
-It can tackle different shapes. It fits hex, star, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 12 points, spline, etc.
-It can even twist bars. No joke. There's a video for that too.
-In light of #1, you can even just have this instead of 25 sockets, saving you a ton of space and weight in that tool box. Please note the sizes it fits are as follows: SAE: 3/8 13/32 7/16 15/32 1/2 17/32 9/16 19/32 5/8 21/32 11/16 23/32 3/4 25/32 Metric: 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 **Actually the package says it will take the place of 100 sockets.**
-The harder you screw, the tighter the grip. (No, I'm not being nasty, but I am snickering. Childish, aren't I?)
-It comes with a 3-year limited warranty.
dfp-g2s-11

Downsides:
-You must provide your own ratchet, 3/8 drive.
-You cannot use it with power tools.
-It can only be used if the outside diameter of the socket fits in that area...so if it's a tiny space and the outside diameter won't fit, this won't help.
-If you need a deep socket, this won't work there either. (But perhaps a deep socket is in the making.)

Having seen this on TV, my husband and I were eager to try it and while I did not need it (I'm not longer in sheet metal), my husband took it to his garage and piddled with it. He likes it; it will have a permanent home in his tool box, though he did have the above quibbles about the limitations of its use (the diameter restricting where it can be placed).

I think, however, if the company eventually offers a variety of depths of sockets and some pneumatic-compatible ones, this little tool will go far and bring smiles to many mechanics' faces. I highly recommend it as a gift for Father's day. At this time, it's only available on their site, but for ONLY 14.99 with FREE SHIPPING. So you can get your dad something he'll use forever and for less than 20 bucks.

We give it four out of five stars. Terrific idea and the fact a father/son team is behind it makes it even more appealing. I mean, seriously, imagine your dad inventing something and you winning the means to make it happen for him. How cool is that?

If you're still in doubt about all the things this device can do, check out their video page.

*Item received for review. No financial reimbursement.*


0 comments: