Thursday, October 8, 2026

Guest Post by Chandra Lynn, M.B.A., Author of Root to Rise & Autographed Book Giveaway

 



Why You Can Have a Good Life and Still Feel Like Something Is Missing

By Chandra Lynn, M.B.A.

This article is for the woman who looks at her life and thinks, I have so much to be grateful for. Why am I not happier?

Maybe the kids are finally asleep. The kitchen is mostly clean. You sit down for the first time all day, and instead of relief there’s a low hum you can’t quite name.

Nothing is wrong. You love your family, you know how lucky you are, and you could list a dozen reasons to be grateful without trying. That’s what makes the feeling so hard to talk about, even with yourself. So you cover it with a little guilt (I should be happy) and keep going.

Maybe you try to fix it from the outside with a new routine, a weekend away, or a bigger goal at work. Sometimes that helps. A lot of the time, though, we’re trimming branches when the part asking for attention is underground, in the roots.

I learned that in my own body.

What I Was Really Building

When my son, Kai, was a baby, I joined a gym. I was working from home, and the gym’s childcare gave me something I hadn’t had since he was born: time that was just mine.

On paper, it was about getting my body back. I had gained more weight than I wanted, my pre-baby clothes didn’t fit, and I didn’t like what I saw in pictures. The harder part was the voice in my head. For years I had called myself “the 10-pound overweight girl,” and after Kai that inner critic got louder. Some days it felt like my body was working against me.

So I made the scary walk over to the free weights. The people there were far kinder and more helpful than I had imagined. I found a 12-week beginner program, followed it all the way through, and learned that consistency mattered more than any one workout. I’ve been on a program of one kind or another ever since.

Somewhere along the way I realized the muscle was the smaller part of it. My self-talk got quieter. What I was really building was trust in myself, and a slowly growing belief that I am worth taking care of. I still notice things in the mirror I’d change, but I’m proud of what I built.

When I reached my goals, I hosted a thank-you dinner for the people who had supported me. I didn’t get there alone, and I wanted them to know it.

That season taught me something I now build my work around. We expect the rise without the roots, and the root work is where the magic happens.

Your Five Roots

In my Root-to-Rise® framework, I picture a life as a tree with five roots: Health, Family, Relationships, Career, and Friends. Everything other people see lives above ground. What holds it up is underneath.

The roots aren’t a ranking, and they won’t all be thriving at the same time. Life moves in seasons. When your kids are little, Family may be getting nearly all the water while Health or Friends go dry for a while. That’s normal. It’s also worth noticing, because a root that stays dry long enough starts to affect the whole tree.


The Hidden Forces Underneath

Below the roots are what I call the Hidden Forces: six human needs that quietly drive our choices. The idea comes from human needs psychology, which traces back to Abraham Maslow and was developed further by Tony Robbins and Cloe Madanes. Root-to-Rise is my adaptation of it.

The six are Security (stability and a sense of safety), Variety (change and fresh experiences), Self (feeling that you matter as you), Intimacy (closeness and belonging), Growth (learning and expanding), and Transcendence (contributing to something bigger than yourself).

We all have all six, and none of them is good or bad. What matters is how we’re meeting them, and what our way of meeting them is costing us.

For a lot of moms, this is where the restlessness comes from. Caring for your children can feed Intimacy and Transcendence in ways nothing else ever has, and running a household can feel a lot like Security. But the same role can crowd out a need without your noticing. You can get so good at meeting everyone else’s needs that Self, the need to feel like a person apart from your roles, gets almost nothing. Or Growth stalls because there’s no room left in the day to learn anything just for you.

When “Something Is Missing” Is Information

That restless feeling is usually a signal, and it’s worth listening to before you decide what it means. Most of the time it doesn’t mean you need to blow up your life. It may mean one root has been dry for a while, or that a need that barely registered five years ago matters much more now.

This comes up often in transitions, when kids start school or leave home, when your body changes, or when your work does. The strategies that carried you through the last season were the right ones for that time. Some of them may not fit the woman you’re becoming.

You can be deeply grateful for your life and still be curious about what it’s asking of you.

Try This Week

The next time the restlessness shows up, don’t rush to fix it. Pause and ask one question: What need am I trying to meet right now?

If the answer is Self, you may not need a whole weekend away. Ten minutes that belong only to you might do more. Pick one small way to feed that need this week, and make it small enough that perfectionism can’t talk you out of it. Then notice what changes.

Root-to-Rise was never about building a perfect life. It’s about building roots strong enough to love the life you have, even when it’s messy, hard, and uncertain.

Discover Your Hidden Force

If you’re curious which of the six needs may be shaping your choices right now, my free Hidden Forces Quiz can help you see it.

TAKE THE FREE HIDDEN FORCES QUIZ 

If you’d rather read first, or want to go deeper after the quiz, download my free Hidden Forces Guide. It walks through all six needs and how they may be showing up in your relationships, health, and everyday decisions.

DOWNLOAD THE FREE HIDDEN FORCES GUIDE 

For the full framework, Root-to-Rise: How to Love Life and its companion, the Root-to-Rise Workbook: Love Life by Design, walk you through strengthening your roots and understanding what drives you. As Deepak Chopra put it, “If you want a simple step-by-step guide for a fulfilled life, THIS is the book.” Readers of this blog get 25% off signed books with RISE25 on my personal store at glowliving.etsy.com.

About Chandra Lynn

Chandra Lynn, M.B.A., is an author, speaker, mom, and Certified Transformation Coach through the Robbins-Madanes Center for Strategic Intervention. She is the founder of Glow Living, creator of the Root-to-Rise® personal growth and self-help system which has earned recognition from Deepak Chopra and Kirkus Reviews, and author of Root-to-Rise: How to Love Life, a Gold Medal winner in the 2026 Readers’ Favorite International Book Awards (Non-Fiction – Motivational), and the Root-to-Rise Workbook: Love Life by Design. Through her books, coaching, and talks, she helps people love life, even when it’s messy, hard, and uncertain.

Learn more at chandralynn.com. Find the books at https://glowliving.com/rtrbooks.


The Giveaway

One lucky winner will receive an autographed copy of Root to Rise! To enter, fill out the Giveaway Tools form below.  Do you not meet to be a member to redeem the code. Giveaway ends 11/5/26! Open to the US only.


0 comments: