Saturday, March 19, 2016

Book Review: A.C. Deen's "Awakening"





Paranormal is one of my all-time favorite genres, and I love getting to check out new authors. From the description of this one, I thought this was going to be a fun read. I was sort of right, and sort of disappointed at the same time. 

The story follows a young woman whose sudden transformation to a supernatural creature adds complications to a time in her life when there are already a lot of changes to deal with. The normal things one goes through when preparing to go to college and start their adult life take a back seat to trying to adjust to physical and mental changes that come with her new power. 

First off, let me say that I really enjoyed the lead character. There were several aspects of Ellie that I could relate to, despite the massive transformation she undergoes and the crazy circumstances that result. I think the author captured that struggle of finding your way well, and she also did a good job of showing the various challenges Ellie faced, as well as how she overcame them. 

On the flip side, this book was written in a bit of a different way. It's entirely told in a "this is what happened" style, along with a couple of letters, rather then a dialogue/narration style that I am used to from other books. It feels like there is so much potential yet to be unlocked from this author, and I will be interested to see how she grows and develops as she continues on the writing path. 

Again, it's a bit of an unusual writing style, but it's got an interesting premise, a cool lead character, and the potential for many more adventures with Ellie. I'd recommend reading the sample to see if the style will work for you. 





0 comments: