Sunday, February 14, 2016

Movie Review: I Believe in Unicorns


As Unicorns are my favorite mythical creature, the title drew me in right off the bat and got me to read the synopsis. The story follows a young girl named Davina, who begins a relationship with an older guy named Sterling. Things end up getting ugly as Davina, who is prone to escaping into a fantasy world, finds that Sterling isn't all that he appeared to be. 

Overall, I thought the acting was good, and the interactions between the leads were great. They were very fun and playful, and seemed to be a good match on the surface. However, there were some scenes between them that were uncomfortable to watch.

As for the production, I thought it was almost trying too hard in some respects to be "artistic", leaving me scratching my head (and I absolutely adore the Moffat era of Doctor Who, so it takes a lot to do that). The visual effects were outstanding, though. 

I felt like, given the fact this was a young girl, I would've liked to have seen a little bit more of the relationship between her and her mother. I'd say that viewers who are fans of art films would enjoy it, but straight coming-of-age fans will most likely not.





0 comments: