Everyone knows that gift cards make great gifts, especially for hard-to-shop-for loved ones. But what many people might not know is that gift cards aren’t just for gifts anymore.
It turns out that consumers looking for a convenient and flexible payment tool or an alternative to a checking account may want to consider a particular form of gift card: general purpose reloadable (GPR) cards. GPR cards function like debit cards but don’t require a bank account, which makes them a flexible substitute for a checking account or banking card.
The benefits don’t stop there. Here are 5 other unexpected benefits of using GPR cards for traveling, for everyday purchases, and for peace of mind:
- Shop Online and In-Store, Anytime and Anywhere: With the seal of a major credit card company, GPR cardholders can shop at millions of retailers where major credit cards are accepted. Whether you’re at the POS of a major retailer or shopping on ecommerce sites, checking out is easy and painless.
- Easy Application and No Credit Check Required: Applying for a credit card can be a time-consuming process that can leave a blemish on your credit report. To start using a GPR card, simply purchase one at your favorite retailer, add funds, and start using it. There’s no waiting for a card to arrive in the mail and no hard or soft inquiries are made against your credit.
- Funds are Secure: After you purchase your GPR card, it’s easy to register the card online. With a registered card, you can shop worry-free with the knowledge that if your card is lost or stolen, reporting the theft or loss immediately is all you need to do to make sure you don’t lose your funds.
- No Expiration Date on Funds: While there may be an expiration date printed on your card, that doesn’t mean you lose your funds on that date. Just like with an ATM card or credit card, the expiration date simply means that it’s time to apply for a new card.
- Easy to Reload: Reloading funds to a card is easy to do at the point of sale (POS) of most major retailers. Easy swipe reloads make it possible to quickly and easily add funds via your preferred method of payment.