Sunday, August 16, 2015

Movie Review: Big Sky

Big Sky follows the story of an agoraphobic teen whose illness has caused problems at home. She and her mother travel with a small group to a facility that is supposed to help treat the illness. 

Along the way, the van they are traveling in is attacked and Hazel is left alone with her mother in the desert. The attackers didn't know Hazel was there because she was hiding in a special space in the back in order to feel more comfortable on the trip. Her mother was shot and left for dead, so Hazel now has to overcome her fear to save them both. 

I liked the premise of the movie. Psychological thrillers can be fun in that they get the blood pumping and keep you on the edge of your seat. Unfortunately, there were some things that made enjoying the movie difficult. 

This is not the fault of the actors, as I thought they all did a great job. I just found myself distracted by the sound effects that seemed to overpower the film, making it difficult to hear the actors at times. I also was a bit put off by the surrealist-looking scenes that appeared to be flashbacks explaining how Hazel wound up the way she did. I couldn't really follow them well and thought they didn't add much to the story. 

Overall, I thought it was okay and think that people who like more modern film making will enjoy it.







0 comments: