It’s time to pack those water floaties and sunscreen – summer is finally here. This summer is expected to be the busiest ever for air travel – an estimated 222 million travelers are expected to fly from June 1st - August 31st1. In addition to being a busy time for travel, summer is also a busy time for burglary – according to the federal Bureau of Justice Statistics2, burglary is 11 percent more common in the summer than in the winter, making it essential to include home security on your pre-trip checklist.
D-Link delivers simple DIY home security products to keep an eye on what matters most, even while miles away. Unlike some competing products that require contracts, subscription fees and indiscriminately dump the entire feed into the cloud, D-Link® cameras feature local recording options as well as sound and motion detection, giving them a remarkably small bandwidth footprint.
“No homeowner wants to return from a wonderful vacation to see their home vandalized and their valuables gone,” said Daniel Kelley, vice president of marketing, D-Link Systems, Inc. “Taking steps to secure your home not only provides peace of mind, it can also deter burglars. D-Link offers a variety of easy to use home security solutions that will allow vacationers to relax a little easier this summer.”
D-Link offers several security solutions to keep homes safe during summer travel, including the mydlink® Camera Video Recorder (DNR-202L) that can simultaneously stream, record and playback up to four D-Link Wi-Fi Cameras*. The DNR-202L records footage locally to an attached USB hard drive, accessible from anywhere via the free mydlink View app or the mydlink.com portal, and it doesn’t require a dedicated PC to run.
In preparation for this year’s busy summer travel season, D-Link offers the following tips for securing your home to bring peace of mind to your vacation.
1. Make Your Camera Obvious: First and foremost, install a camera and make it obvious – burglars are less likely to target a home that has cameras installed near doors and windows. Whether monitoring inside with a D-Link Pan & Tilt Wi-Fi Camera (DCS-5020L) or outside with the D-Link HD Outdoor Wi-Fi Camera (DCS-2330L), D-Link’s line of home surveillance cameras provides cost-effective, DIY alternatives to expensive home alarm systems. In addition, these cameras offer night vision for a clear view in low-light conditions.
2. Monitor Your Home from Afar: Relax a little easier by using your mobile device to make sure your home is safe and the teenage neighbor is feeding the cat regularly. The free mydlink mobile apps work with D-Link home surveillance cameras and connect directly to a smartphone or tablet to provide users a live view of their home anytime, anywhere.
3. React Quickly: An average burglary will last between 8 to 12 minutes3. The mydlink app can send push notifications directly to a smartphone or tablet, alerting homeowners of sound or motion detection. This alert can give homeowners time to call the police or a neighbor.
4. Keep Record: Keep video footage for future use. The D-Link DNR-202L allows for motion or schedule based recording of high-quality video and audio and records locally, so there is no need for cloud-based storage contracts or fees. Recorded footage is accessible with the free mydlink View app, and if an intruder breaks or steals your Wi-Fi camera, the recorded footage is still safe.
Availability and Pricing
D-Link’s home surveillance solutions are now available throughout D-Link’s vast network of retail and e-tail outlets in the United States. Detailed specifications are available online and retail pricing is as follows:
- mydlink Camera Video Recorder (DNR-202L) – $99.99
- Pan & Tilt Wi-Fi Camera (DCS-5020L) – $119.99
- HD Outdoor Wi-Fi Camera (DCS-2330L) – $179.99
More about D-Link Wi-Fi Camera Solutions
D-Link is a market leader in Wi-Fi camera solutions with more than 2 million activated IP cameras on the mydlink cloud platform. D-Link offers a diverse range of Wi-Fi cameras at competitive price levels, allowing consumers to select the best camera for their surveillance/security needs, including models offering VGA and HD quality video, indoor and outdoor monitoring solutions, pan and tilt capabilities, day and night viewing, as well as sound and motion detection to enhance security.
Leveraging D-Link’s expertise in home networking, D-Link Wi-Fi cameras are simple to install, easy-to-use and manage remotely, and don’t take over network bandwidth. D-Link Wi-Fi cameras enable users to view what matters most at home and remotely using the mydlink web portal or free mydlink mobile app, providing a feature-rich experience on mobile devices (iOS and Android) and web browsers for anywhere, anytime access. D-Link Wi-Fi cameras also provide free monitoring with no monthly fees using the mydlink app and local recording options with microSD card on select cameras and standalone Network Video Recorders (NVRs).
D-Link is the global leader in connectivity for home, small business, mid- to large-sized enterprise environments, and service providers. An award-winning designer, developer, and manufacturer, D-Link implements and supports unified network solutions that integrate capabilities in switching, wireless, broadband, storage, IP Surveillance, and cloud-based network management. For more information visit www.dlink.com, or connect with D-Link on Facebook (www.facebook.com/dlink) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/dlink) or D-Link’s blog (http://blog.dlink.com/).
Connect with D-Link
D-Link makes some great cameras and I was thrilled to get to try some of these out. The husband and I have been debating a security system for quite some time, but when calling around the different companies, it gets expensive. D-Link gives you an affordable option that you can customize.
The D-Link Pan and Tilt Camera is awesome. You have almost a 360 degree look of your the area you place the camera. In order to control the camera, you need to use an app on your smartphone, tablet, or computer website. It's very easy to use and move the camera around. It also supplies sound, so you can hear what's going on in your home as well. When away from home, it was nice being able to check in on this camera, and the other D-Link cameras. I did notice only a small lag when I asked the camera to move, but it's to be expected when both devices are on the Internet.
The D-Link outdoor HD camera is great too. It's small and easy to hang. It also connects to wi-fi and you're able to access it the same ways. It gives a peace of mind to be able to check on the outside of your home when away. We have ours set up to monitor the front of the house due to some recent car break ins in the area.
D-Link also offers a camera video recorder, so you can actually record the different camera. This is nice, because you can't watch your cameras all the time. With this, you can go back and check the recordings if something were to happen at your home. I found the recordings to be clean and not very grainy.
I was very pleased with all the D-Link cameras and I've been telling people about them sense. They are worth the investment, especially to give you a piece of mind. It's very nice to check in on your home when you're away. Even if you're at the office, you can check in on the pets and make sure they are okay.