Saturday, July 11, 2015

Book Review: Oh Crap! Potty Training by Jamie Glowacki



Jamie Glowacki—potty-training expert, Pied Piper of Poop, and author of the popular guide, OH CRAP! POTTY TRAINING: Everything Modern Parents Need to Know to Do It Once and Do It Right (Touchstone Trade Paperback Original; June 16, 2015; $15.99)—shares her proven 6-step plan to help you toilet train your child quickly and successfully. Watch videos of Jamie here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzHFciPMVRc 

Summer – June, July and August – is Potty Training Season as parents prepare kids for pre-school! If you have a toddler, know a toddler, work with toddlers this is the book their parents (caregivers) need for potty training. OH CRAP! POTTY TRAINING is the first and last stop on your potty training journey. It provides real-world, from-the-trenches potty training information—all the questions and all the ANSWERS you need to do it once and be done with diapers for good.  

Tens of thousands of parents have already successfully followed the Oh Crap! method through Jamie’s blog, podcast, and successful self-published book. Now, she brings her expertise to an even wider audience with the book, OH CRAP! POTTY TRAINING which includes a Cheat Sheet giving an easy-to-reference overview of the program, FAQ section and inclusion of the “Dad’s Cheat Sheet” to help understand the basics of the process at a glance. 


Purchase  OH CRAP! POTTY TRAINING on Amazon.
Visit Jamie and OH CRAP! POTTY TRAINING at http://www.jamieglowacki.com/  and on Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter.

Our Thoughts
I seriously can't believe I potty trained my kid in ONE week.  I mean, really.  Blown. Away.

Let me back up a bit.  Our son is 6 with DS/ASD and both speech & motor apraxias.  He's a great kid, but having his brand of motor apraxia means learning purposeful imitated movements is very difficult for him. This means sign language is extraordinarily difficult for him.  He is completely non verbal as well, and we are working with a speech device. He also has a delayed response to some (but not all) external physical stimuli.  I know he's a smart kid - I've seen how quick he can learn!, but he wasn't showing much signs of being ready to be out of diapers.  He would occasionally tell me his diaper was dirty, but it wasn't consistent by any means, and he seemed quite content to spend an entire day in a wet diaper if only I would let him!

The second chapter of OH CRAP! POTTY TRAINING is about the right time (age) frame for potty training your child - between 20 - 30 months old. And let me tell you, Jamie wants to beat you over the head with this information (and says so!).  She also says her biggest fight is with the thought "we're waiting until he's ready" and that trying to potty train a child over 30 months is infinitely harder.  She does address developmental delays near the end of the book - and also says you know your child best. 

Did I mention my son is 6??? 

Now, keep in mind we are working with developmental & physical delays.  At age 6, he still doesn't have a pincer grasp, nor can he wave "bye" or a myriad of other things, let alone dress/undress himself.  He is smart, just not very physically capable yet and has a very difficult time expressing his needs in a way others can understand.  So, what I was looking for with my son was the right "developmental" age, not the physical age.  A lot of things have changed for the better for him regarding his development in the last year, and I felt this was THE TIME to do it.  Plus, I had a good motivator: he was starting summer school soon, with full-day kindergarten a month after that.  That's A LOT of diapers and he already has enough gear to haul to and from school.  (We cloth diaper, which has saved us thousands of dollars - not even kidding, I did a full cost analysis! but they are bulkier than disposables and take up much more room.  Especially 6 yr old sized cloth diapers!)

I made up my mind, we were going to give this a good honest try and I started the day before Jamie's book arrived.  That first day, I lasted all of 3 hours before going back to diapers.  I mainly observed him and what I saw was that he dribbled constantly; it was like there was no shut off valve!  I've observed this kid during a bath, seemingly completely and utterly oblivious to the fact he was peeing; he never even so much as looked down at it.   I spent the next hour or so after putting him back in diapers making phone calls and leaving messages.  (Friends recommended having a lumbar adjustment done - and on Day 3, we had our appointment.  I also explained to him that the diapers were only temporary until we could figure out this dribbling thing.  He seemed to take it well.)

Day 2 went a little better, and Day 3, although I hated to do it, and Jamie definitely doesn't recommend it, he went back in diapers since we were going to be out of the house for a solid 8 hours, and in the vehicle a good majority of that.  But when we got back home, we went back to Naked.  And he was fine with it.

I love how Jamie breaks down the steps into Clueless, I Peed, I'm Peeing, and I Have To Pee.  Even at age 6, I wasn't sure if we were starting with Clueless or I Peed.  On Day 2, he had a couple of what I call "awareness moments" and we CLEARLY moved into I'm Peeing. 

By Day 6, I was guilty of what Jamie calls "Over Prompting" and we had defiance!!!  Oh boy!!  But, my "village" is AWESOME.  Relatives sent Kaiden a short little cell phone video telling him that he's supposed to use the toilet and to not be stubborn.   And he LOVED it!  It put him right back on track.

By the end of Day 6, he was initiating bathroom visits himself - still requiring clothing and aim help, but doing it! 

This morning we still had a few little mini-accidents here and there for not quite making it to the toilet on time, but we are SO well on our way and I could not be prouder of this kid!!  I absolutely believe that as today ends Day 8, if he didn't need the physical assistance because of his motor skills, he would be 100% able to do this on his own with no looking back.

There is a TON of great info in this book.  Jamie really lays it out for you, the good, the bad, the ugly and how to get back on track.  The tips and tricks outlined in OH CRAP! POTTY TRAINING are incredibly useful - read the book, then read it again and again!









 

0 comments: