Saturday, June 27, 2015

Book Review - The Whole-Brain Child Workbook


Mystified by your how your child’s brain is wired? Neuropsychiatrist Daniel J. Siegel, M.D. and brain-based parenting expert Tina Payne Bryson, Ph.D. offer 12 easy to remember “whole-brain” strategies (for example: Name It to Tame It, Engage Don’t Enrage, Move It Or Lose It), with dozens of exercises and activities that address sibling conflict, homework or screen time battles, meltdowns, tantrums, sulking, and other issues every parent faces.

In addition to their expertise in the field, Drs. Siegel and Bryson are both parents, and understand that in the day-to-day it can be hard to just get through a day, much less read a book about parenting. This workbook is written for the busy—possibly overwhelmed—but still committed parent who wants to understand at an even deeper level what it means to connect with his or her children. (This is an expanded, interactive book based on the authors’ New York Times bestselling book The Whole-Brain Child.)


My Thoughts

The Whole-Brain Child Workbook is a workbook that is a companion to the book The Whole-Brain Child. I have not read that book, and from  reading over this workbook, I feel as though I needed a copy of the book because the workbook references the book a lot. However, I did still get a good bit of info from the book because it does explain things about a child's brain before certain activities that you can do with your child. There are a lot of examples in this book on ways to connect with your child and I found some of the parts useful and have used them with my own children. Some of the activities are written out in cute comics. I liked these a lot because it appealed to me to see the interaction between a parent and a child, rather then just read it.

I think this is a great companion workbook to those who have read The Whole-Brain Child book. Without reading the book prior, I did feel like I was missing things, however I did still enjoy this workbook very much and could see myself still recommending it to others. 





0 comments: