School is almost out for summer and kids will be heading off to camp soon! Typically you might worry that your they won’t make healthy choices while they’re away from home, but this year, you can send them off with healthy snack options to keep their nutrition in check. Heather Goldberg and Jenny Engel of Spork Foods have put together their top 5 list of kid-friendly summer camp snacks. See their superstar snack recommendations below.
Kid’s Summer Camp Snack Ideas- by Heather and Jenny- Sisters and Owners of Spork Foods
1) Pistachio Chewy Bites - This completely nutritious snack is made of protein packed pistachios, delicious dried cranberries, and agave nectar. This unique flavor combination is the perfect snack for kids any time of day. The convenient, individually wrapped bites are easy to toss into your child’s snack stash and send them off! Steal one for yourself and eat it on the way to work while you’re at it!
2) Fruit Leathers - Fruit leathers have come a long way since we were kids. They’re packed with vitamins and minerals, yet disguised in a fun-to-eat snack! Stretch Island Fruit is our favorite! The grab-and-go aspect is always great too, just in case your little one gets hungry on the bus. We guarantee this snack won’t be traded come the lunch hour!
3) Popcorn- Corn has more nutrition in it than one might think! It’s actually incredibly high in antioxidants and is fun to eat, a win-win for parents and kids. Earth Balance makes a new, non-dairy aged white cheddar popcorn that’s non-GMO and very tasty. There is a reason corn has been a food staple for thousands of years…it’s healthy and delicious!
4) A Good Old Fashion Banana- Let’s face it, this fruit is the original to-go snack. A banana’s thick skin acts as natural tupperware, it’s loaded with low glycemic carbs, and will give your kids the energy they need to run around all day. If endurance athletes can lean on bananas for nutrition, surely we can too.
5) Kale Chips- Kids like kale these days (lucky for us). What an incredible alternative to potato chips and other fried foods! Kale Chips are absolutely jam-packed with vitamin K which builds bone mass in the body. This treat will provide the crunch they love and the nutrients you love for our developing kids to eat! One of our favorite companies is Just Pure Foods, because all of the products are organic, made with love and taste amazing.
-Tips from Jenny Engel and Heather Goldberg of Spork Foods.
We got to test out the Pistachio Chewy Bites and they are really awesome. Each one is a delicious blend of two of my favorite things: pistachios and cranberries. These nuts and berries are merged together into a mini bar. They are a chewy and delicious combination of salty and sweet that is a mouth watering concoction both kids and adults can enjoy.
Each Pistachio Chewy Bite comes in its own individual package to ensure freshness. This makes them a great snack when you're on the go or to toss in school lunch boxes. In addition to tasting great, they are packed with protein and fiber. Best of all, they are a 100% natural choice, that is gluten free, dairy free, GMO free, and vegan friendly.
Pistachio Chewy bites are available in major grocery store chains across the country such as: Fairway, Shoprite, A&P, Roundy’s, HEB, Safeway, Ingles, Gelson’s, King Kullen, Earth Fare, Price Chopper, Wegmans, Save Mart, Lucky, Hy-Vee, Shop n’ Save, etc. They are also available online at Amazon.com and Puritan.com.
Pricing: 6-Pack $5.99 and 16-Pack $12.50