Tuesday, March 3, 2015

DVD Review: A Place to Call Home, Season 1




Called an “instantly irresistible saga…captivatingly filmed, deeply romantic drama of immense intelligence distinguished by a uniformly superb cast…addictive” (The Wall Street Journal), set in rural Australia in the 1950s, the epic drama follows a privileged family’s confrontation with a changing era and one woman’s journey to heal her soul. Acclaimed actress Marta Dusseldorp (Jack Irish) leads the cast as Sarah Adams, a woman with a mysterious past who returns to Australia after 20 years abroad. Making her passage home aboard an ocean liner, Sarah becomes involved in the lives of the Blighs, a wealthy Australian family with secrets of their own. (DVD 4-Disc Set). U.S. Premiere on Acorn TV in Dec. 2014.

My Thoughts

A Place to Call Home is a suburb period drama set in Australia in the 1950s. Sarah Adams spent twenty years as a nurse overseas. When she finally returns home, she meets handsome widower  George Bligh. Sparks fly between the two, but his wealthy family is less than pleased with their budding romance, especially when she has a run-in with his brother. Mrs. Bligh, his controlling mother, does everything she can to keep the new couple apart, but Sarah isn't a woman who gives up easily.

This is such a great show, filled with secrets and romance. Each episode ends in a cliff hanger that leaves you wanting more. In addition to the fabulous storyline between the main characters, in also ties in actual historical events from the time period. Everyone gave a stellar performance, but Mrs. Bligh, played by Noni Hazlehurst, is my favorite. She's so good, you just love to hate her.  I can't wait for Season 2 to come out on DVD. 

If you'd like to grab a copy of this fantastic period drama for yourself, its available on Acorn Media for only $59.99. You can also order it online on Amazon. 





19 comments:

chris said...

It sounds like a very unique drama - being set in the 1950s and in Australia! Neat idea for a plot too.

Sandra Watts said...

I like these kind of movies. Of course I end up watching them by myself because they guys in the house all call them chic flix. :)

Bonnie Lee said...

Sounds interesting. Love the location!

Lisa Garland said...

Seems like a very interesting show and I lo cliffhangers, makes you wanna watch the next show to see what's happening!!

lisa said...

It sounds interesting. I'll bet the scenery is lovely.

Holly Thomas said...

This sounds like a great movie! I will have to check it out.

denise low said...

I think this would be great to read. Thanks for the information.

Unknown said...

It seems that Amazon is the place to go to own A Place Called Home. It would be nice to watch, being set in Austrailia. Since my DVD is on the blink, I can only hope that at some point it will make it to netFlix.

Unknown said...

I would love to see this. I have a hard time waiting when they keep you hanging though. I will have to check this out Thank you for sharing

Deborah Dumm said...

looks like a great show.

Unknown said...

This sounds like a book I would love to read. It sounds like a book I would have a hard time putting down. Thank you so much for sharing

laura rubenstein said...

This looks like a great story!

Unknown said...

Sounds awesome. I would love to see it. Thanks!

Stacy Fields said...

Seems interesting, Australia is one of my all time favorite places!

tisme143 said...

I love the story line, sounds like something I would get into reading and enjoy..

ssjmommy said...

I love the story line. Anything about Australia I find fascinating. It sounds like a great story.

Q said...

I am watching this now.thanks so much for sharing.

Amber Ludwig said...

Sounds like a great series!! I do love anything that has a mystery past :) Im a sucker for dirty little secrets!

Unknown said...

It sounds interesting. I hadn't heard of it before. I will have to check it out now.