Friday, January 30, 2015

Express Yourself this Valentine’s Day with Epson DIY Tech



From young love to budding romance to friendship or family relationships, Valentine’s Day is the perfect opportunity to show the people in your life you care. And what’s a better way to say “I love you” than leveraging a robust printing solution to create hand-made, personalized gifts from the heart? Allow me to introduce the Epson Expression Premium XP-860 Small-in-One.



Leveraging Epson’s MicroPiezo printing technology and Claria Premium inks, the XP-820 delivers consumer-rated unbeatable photo quality for vivid, borderless photos up to 8” x 10,” plus direct CD/DVD printing. Create a custom-labeled music compilation for that special someone, or even personalized valentines for the little one’s classmates. Plus, the XP-860 comes equipped with the Epson Connect™ suite of free mobile printing solutions, and even enables users to edit, scan and share photos directly to Facebook™ or the cloud. 


Connect with Epson






My Thoughts

This is one cool printer!  Our first color printer was an inkjet, purchased many years ago and inkjets have come really far in all those years!  Epson not only sent us the printer, but a lot of media to go with it - Premium Glossy Photo Paper in several sizes, and printable CD's.  My favorite part: the photo quality is just amazing!  That is, once you use the right settings, LOL!!  The first time I printed a photo using the Epson Expression Photo XP-860, I forgot to set the printer settings and used the default settings – it wasn’t bad, about as good as the original inkjet photo printers, but I was really disappointed.  Until I realized my mistake, got it corrected, and then was WOWED with the final version.  Most of the time I don't get my photos printed, because you never really know what you’re going to get.  I’ve had some that looked fantastic on the screen, but was then less than pleased at the print quality when picking them up from the photo store, or the print quality of older inkjet printers - nice, but not *great*.  I have lots of photos I want to frame, so now I can! 





My husband did all the setup work to install the Expression Photo XP-860 in our home office. It really didn’t take too long and he had mostly good things to say about the whole installation process – with the exception of that it wants you to install some toolbar as part of the installation.  But, you can opt out of that (we did).  It can be set up wireless which is awesome for our small office – it’s across the room and we aren’t tripping over cables!  As an IT professional, he said the wireless setup wasn't as straightforward as it could be, and the printer seemed to "forget" its wireless setup, as it worked that night, but needed to be re-set up the next day.  He also said the management and configuration cability was limited in comparison to installing other leading brand printers.  


Now, you can get labels to print for CD/DVD’s, but this printer actually allows you to print ON the CD/DVD!!  How cool is that??  No more messing around with getting the sticky label on just right.  You can choose your text, font, everything! My husband is having lots of fun with this option, in fact just ordered a new spindle just for that purpose! I think we may have created a monster there . . .

One option that I think is THE coolest – is the ability to print right from your smartphone, iphone, ipad, tablet, or computer.  I mean, printing wireless from my pc is one thing, but to be able to print from my phone?  AWESOME!!  Granted, I don’t have a smartphone yet, but my old phone’s pretty near death and a smartphone will be my next upgrade.  And I take LOTS of pictures with my phone! Another great feature, I can even print directly from my camera’s memory card!  I just got a new digital camera and I am so pleased with the quality of pictures it takes, so I am super excited to get outdoor photos of my son this summer – and now that I can print great quality photos myself, it just makes it that much easier to share photos with the grandparents, who are always asking for photos!  The printer also features a touchscreen, where you can preview your photos and even do a little photo editing.

This printer has other options, too, which make it an excellent choice for a home office.  Not only can I print, but I can scan, copy, and fax!  The scanned in pictures are of excellent quality, too!  For all that it does, it's a nice SMALL compact design, not a big gigantic unit.  I feel like I have the best of both worlds now – last fall we purchased a new color laser printer to replace our “still works but is too old to work with new software” black and white laser printer.  While laser printing is preferable to me for some things, photos are not one of them. And while that color laser printer is pretty cool, it doesn’t have anywhere near the amazing features the Expression Photo XP-860 does.

Highly recommended – perfect for the home office!


0 comments: