Friday, February 24, 2012

I, CLAUDIUS: 35th Anniversary Edition DVD Review



I have always been a sucker for a historical a television series, especially anything having to do with ancient Rome. Make it a classic series and I know I am going to be hooked. That is exactly what happened with me and I, Claudious. I was a newborn when this series originally aired 35 years ago, but luckily I caught it this time around. Once I started watching this additive series, I couldn't stop until I had watched the whole box set.  The combination of a powerful story line filled with historical facts and stunning costume design left me glued to my seat. Here is a little more info straight from Acorn Media.

An epic tale of ambition, debauchery, and intrigue, this Emmy®-winning BBC series is one of the most popular and acclaimed dramas in Masterpiece Theatrehistory. Based on the novels by Robert Graves, spanning the history of the Roman Empire from Augustus to Nero, it stars Derek Jacobi in a career-defining role, with Siân Phillips as the lethal Livia, John Hurt as the vile Caligula, and Patrick Stewart as the ambitious Sejanus. "Fiendishly sophisticated"- New York Times. 12 episodes, 11 hrs, 5 DVDs, SDH. Mature audiences.

Called “A true masterpiece” (San Francisco Chronicle) and rated one of the “100 Best TV Shows of All Time” by Time magazine, this epic BBC series spans the history of the Roman Empire from Augustus through Claudius, a stuttering scholar who learns early to play the fool and stay alive. Based on the novels by Robert Graves, it stars Derek Jacobi (The King’s Speech, Cadfael) in a career-defining role. Winner of an Emmy® and numerous other awards, this riveting tale of ambition, debauchery, and intrigue remains one of the most popular and acclaimed dramas in Masterpiece Theatre history. Siân Phillips (The Age of Innocence), John Hurt (The Elephant Man),  George Baker (The Ruth Rendell Mysteries), Margaret Tyzack (Cousin Bette), James Faulkner (The Bank Job), and Patrick Stewart (X-Men) also star. BONUS Extended original versions of episodes 1 and 2; “I, Claudius”: A Television Epic, a behind-the-scenes look at the series (74 min.); The Epic That Never Was, a documentary recounting the failed 1937 film adaptation (71 min.); NEW Derek Jacobi interview (12 min.); favorite scenes of the cast and director (36 min.); and more.
If you want to get the advantage of a full box set that will leave you on the breathless from the drama and suspense, than this is the box set for you. You can order I, Claudius for only $59.99 at Acorn Media.


***Please note that I received no form of monetary compensation for this post. I did receive a sample of the product to try in order to write a fair and honest review. The opinions expressed in this review are my own and were not influenced in any way. *** 

0 comments: