Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Ghost of Christmas Presents Past


Its waas about 3am in the morning. I woke up to the sound of a low pitched whine. It sounded kind of like a dying animal. I wanted to ignore it, but I hear it again. Are one of the kids having a nightmare? Did the dog finally catch one of the cats? Grudgingly, I pull my big pregnant self out of bed. My hubby doesn't stir at all. I creep into my son's room first, but all is quiet there so I move onto my daughters room. The room glows eerily in the slight illumination on the tinker bell night light when I hear the sound again. Its was allot closer this time. Before I had a chance look around the room, the culprit turned to look at me, nearly scaring me out of my PJ's. Slowly, the head of Butterscotch Pony turns to face me, and lets out one final pathetic whinny before his batteries gave out.


Butterscotch Pony was the big one on my daughter's Christmas wish list year. Santa had to sell allot of homeowners insurance to be able to afford the $200 plus gift. And where is it now? Still sitting in the same corner it was put in the day after Christmas, barely ever touched again. In addition, the set of tinker bell fairy dolls she received were still in the bottom of her toy chest in the packages. I guess she's at that middle age where she's starting to loose interest in dolls. It makes me wonder what I can possibly get her this year. She already has a DS compliments of my ex and I hate how much time both kids spend playing on them. But at least my son will still play with action figures and get off his rump and go outside once in a while. My daughter would stay permanently glued to the sofa if I let her.


Oh well, I knew the day would come when the barbies would be cast aside for bigger (and more expensive) things. I just can't believe that day has already come.

0 comments: