Sunday, June 28, 2015

Short Film Review: Dawn



Rose McGowan, perhaps best known for her role as Paige on Charmed, has moved behind the camera in her directorial debut. The short film, DAWN, has gotten a lot of praise after premiering at the Sundance Film Festival. 

The movie follows a young girl who wants a little more excitement in her life. However, she ends up getting a lot more than she could have planned on after making some new friends. It stars Tara Barr as the title character and takes viewers on a trip through the '60s, including sites and sounds that bring the era to life. 

I thought that it was a great effort overall. I particularly liked Barr and McClendon, the guy she has a flirtation with. The cheery and innocent backdrop of the '60s makes a great contrast to darker path the film takes toward the end. I was on the edge of my seat, knowing something big was coming.  

If you're looking for an alternative to big-budget movies that sometimes have more flash than substance, I'd check this one out. I was pleased to learn that McGowan has released the film for free on her YouTube account because, "I want to promote thought and art, free of charge.  I hope you'll enjoy."


0 comments: