Sunday, August 24, 2014

Art Therapy from publisher Jacqui Small




French women have found a new way to relax - and it's probably not what you think. 

In a nation that is among the world's top consumers of antidepressants, coloring books are a prescription-free way to relieve anxiety.In fact, this non-competitive, mindful and focused activity has become so popular in France that coloring books are currently outselling cookbooks!

Fans are forming groups on social media sites where they post their work and advise each other on the best books and pencils. Many find that coloring 20 minutes to an hour per day relieves headaches, quells anxieties, and provides that rarest of feelings for a busy working woman or mom - a sense of accomplishment.


My Thoughts

I never thought I would enjoy coloring at the of forty six as much I as do.  I am a stay at home mom, and I also run an in home daycare.  So at the end of my day, I sometimes am a little stressed and just need to have some down time. 

I have a ten and seven year old, and in the early evening we all get out our books and color. They of course like to have contests with me to see who can stay in the lines.  Of course they don't realize that mommies book have a little more detail and smaller areas to color in.  But it is nice to sit with both my kids, because while we are all coloring, I find myself going into a meditation state. 

I have had a couple friends pop in and see me sitting with one of these books coloring.  They asked to see which ever one I wasn't using at the time, and she actually sat down and started coloring in the other book.  We had the small talk and just relaxed and colored together. 

There are so many beautiful pictures in these books to color.  I actually have thought about framing a couple and giving them as gifts to some family members.  These are great books and would also make great gifts for those friends or family members who could use a little down time themselves.   Most relaxing thing I've done in awhile.

For more information on these go to: lobsterandswan.
      





1 comments:

Lex said...

I would have never thought of colouring in to be a stress reliever, but now that I'm thinking about it I do enjoy it.