Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Guest Post: Nichole's Story: A Tale of Overcoming Domestic Abuse






Nicole’s Story
                                                     Author: A. Nicole Davis



You know I look back on those years and think to myself, why didn't I leave right away?  Why did I continue to allow this man to take away everything that I worked hard for?  Why did I continue to allow him to beat on our son?  If you haven’t figured it out by now, I’m talking about staying in an abusive relationship for 13 years.

See all the answers were in front of me, the writing was on the wall.  I was too selfish to see what was in front of me.  I put my needs before anyone else.  When I realized that, I was about 4 months pregnant with our youngest daughter.   The day that I told him, I knew it wouldn’t be easy….I knew he’d be drunk or high, so I paced the bedroom floor for hours.  Eventually, I built the nerve to tell him and let’s just say, that was the last straw.  My ex was so angry, he picked up a gun and threatened to kill me if I one, thought about having another child and two, thought about leaving.

I can remember lying in bed with tears streaming down my face, not knowing my next move.  Wishing this was a bad dream, hoping I’d wake up and things would be different.  NOT AT ALL.  What I was living in was pure hell.  But again, I allowed this to happen, so in my mind, I was getting what I deserved.  NOT TRUE AT ALL.  My mother raised me to know better.  I was raised to love myself, not allow someone to destroy me.

Want to know what I did????  Well here it goes.  I picked myself up, went to speak with someone who provided me with all sorts of resources to escape.  They cried with me, they understood my situation, they could smell the fear all over my body.  I remember her asking “Nicole, do you care if you live or die?”  Leaving my children to fend for themselves wasn’t an option for me, so I chose to live.  The next day, myself and children were on a bus to Marietta, GA.  We entered a domestic violence facility for 90 days.  It was the best 90 days of my life!  I NEVER EVER LOOKED BACK!

Now here I am today, 2013, standing strong!  I’m a successful Accountant for a reputable company in NYC.  I also have my own accounting business, starting support groups for domestic violence victims and I’m in the process of sharing my story with the world.  And my children are WONDERFUL!  My kids turned that negative into a positive, they are happy and continue to live life as if nothing happened.  I’m blessed to have them by my side.

I’m here to give women hope and encouragement.  Hopefully, someone will hear my story and have the courage to get out while they can. 

0 comments: