Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Sad Day



Today was a sad day for our family.  Our family cat, Hercules, had to be put to sleep. He was only four years old and we really weren't expecting it. He always had stomach issues so I didn't think much of it when he got sick on Saturday and was a little lethargic. But when we got home from our outing on Sunday, he could barely walk and cried whenever I touched him. There are no urgent care animals hospitals close enough for me to drive to, so we had to wait until Monday morning to bring him to the vet. They admitted him yesterday and told us it didn't look good. This morning they called and said he suffered heart and kidney failure. He was in a lot of pain and the best thing to do was to let him go. The hardest part about it was the fact that they wouldn't let me see him to say goodbye because he bit the vet during his exam. They wanted him tested for rabies which is insane-he was an indoor cat who had his shots. He was normally a good cat, but he  ALWAYS bit the vet.  They always had to put the muzzle on him. But they said they couldn't risk him biting me, especially since I'm expecting. It breaks my heart to think of him leaving this world alone without even a few tender words, but I know he senses the loving energy that surrounded him in his short life. And I honestly believe he will come back to our family someday in another incarnation. But until then, I hope he is at peace and knows how much he will be missed.

11 comments:

Kari said...

Im so sorry for your loss. :( We have 5 cats but have lost 3 previously. It's never easy. One of mine was only a 6 month old siamese and was completely unexpected. It always breaks my heart to lose a furry baby.

Anonymous said...

Awww I'm so sorry. How heartbreaking. Thoughts are with you and your family. Hugs sweetie.

Barbara Montag said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss of your loved pet.
It's so hard to let them go - it's the last loving thing you do for them.

Karol said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. He is such a cute kitty. My condolences to you and your family. I know how hard it is to lose your family cat. I lost mine years ago and still think about her all the time. They are such a big part of your family. But at least he's at peace now, no more pain. And he's still with you in spirit :)

ZESTYWONDERLAND said...

*tears* My heart & prayers go out to you.
I have a kitty that's gets sick alot too. She is very skinny! I am worried to that I will have to face this heartache (again) like you!

Terri said...

I'm so sorry for you going through the sudden loss of your cat. I can understand how sad it is for you as I too had to put our beautiful cat to sleep four weeks ago. He was only 5 and the vet said he had kidney disease. It was also so sudden and unexpected. I have 2 other cats that I love too, but I miss him so much. Knowing he is no longer in pain helps me. They say time heals. I hope your heartache gets less with each new day and the happy memories of your cat helps you. Take care.

Kimberly said...

It is always sad when we lose a loved one. You are in my thoughts.

Krista said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so hard to lose a kitty. I hate that you couldn't be there with him. I can't imagine how hard that must have been to not be able to say good bye.

Do you know the Rainbow Bridge poem? If you don't, look it up. Our kitty passed away a year and a half ago to kidney and heart failure. It was just awful. We still miss him.

Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies said...

I'm so sorry--it made me tear up to read your post. We lost our beloved cat Diego last August and it still hurts. We had to put him to sleep after he got a rare, incurable illness. Pets bring so much love into our lives--uncomplicated, unconditional love. And it's so hard when you have to say goodbye. Know that you gave Hercules a great life, though, and I'm certain he knew it and loved you for it.

Renee Simmons said...

So sorry hun to hear about your kitty. How sad. Totally can relate to having to let go of a pet. :(

Sending hugs!

Heather! said...

I'm a little bit late in reading this, but I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am for your family's loss. It really is sad that you couldn't see him one last time, but I'm sure he knew you were there in spirit. My twelve-year-old cat died in my arms in April and I honestly think she actually would have preferred to be alone when she went. Maybe it was better this way for Hercules. ♥